September 09, 2012

Everyone loves Thai Green Curry

Green curry is a favorite in our house.  It is easy to make a lot of it and it (almost) tastes better the next day.  Take some to work and heat it up and make everyone jealous with the delicious aroma of curry and jasmine rice.  I have never made my own curry paste and opt to purchase curry in a can or tub from an asian market.  If you don't have an asian market you can buy this in any asian store or order online! I love this website for thai goodies, including curry pastes of all kind.  I use the mae ploy brand and get the bigger one cause we love curry and the paste lasts forever in the fridge.

Ingredients:
2 c. jasmine rice (I use brown, but white is good, too)
4 c. water
2 cans coconut milk
3/4 can OR 2-4 tbs of green curry paste (I use about 4 tbs maybe more near the end if I want it stronger)
1 lb chicken or pork cut into thin slices or small cubes
1 can bamboo shoots (optional)
2-3 c. of sliced and diced combo of veggies of your choice.  I like zucchini, green beans, red pepper, (avoid green pepper it tastes odd) peas
4 kaffir lime leaves sliced into strips OR 1 lime
2 tsp of lime juice (if you use the leaves)
3/4 c. chopped cilantro (optional, but a nice addition)
1-4 tbs fish sauce--depends on your taste (I put about 2 or 3)
1-2 tbs palm sugar OR brown sugar to your taste (I put in about 1 1/2)

Steps:
For all Thai foods it is best to have all of your ingredients measured and prepped beforehand.  Thai food cooks fast once you get it over the heat!

1) Start the rice.  I use a rice cooker and add the water and rice together then start the cooker.  
2) Turn a large pan (one to fit the rest of the ingredients) and heat on high.  When the pan is hot add the 1/2 of the coconut milk and stir almost constantly.  The coconut will make crackling noises.  Cook until the milk is reduced then keep adding the coconut in batches until the coconut milk is reduced and thick looking.
3) add your curry paste.  I cook it until the paste becomes noticeably more fragrant.
4) Add your meat, or, if you aren't using meat, add your veggies
5)  Let the meat cook until it is halfway done and then add your veggies.
6)  Let the meat and veggies simmer until your veggies reach a consistency you like and the meat is thoroughly cooked.  I try to let it simmer as long as my patience allows as the flavors become more intense the longer you let it simmer. 
7) When the curry has simmered to your liking add the:  kaffir lime leaves, thai curry leaves, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce. 
8) Stir to fully incorporate and then serve sooner rather than later over rice.




No comments: