January 24, 2013

Very Simple, Very Juicy Roast Chicken

I sometimes get a bit complicated with my roast chickens.  One afternoon, I did not have any energy to devote to a complicated roast chicken so I searched out a more simple recipe.  I found a few and adapted them and came up with this "go to" chicken recipe.

Ingredients:

Whole roasted chicken; rinsed inside and out as well as patted dry inside and out (important! don't skimp on the paper towels)
Course ground salt of your chosing (I used flaky Kosher salt)
1/2 tsp Pepper
2 tsps. thyme
4-5 garlic cloves just cut in half

Instructions:

~Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
~Insert the garlic cloves, salt, peper, and thyme into the body
~Liberally sprinkle the salt on the outside of the body
~Place chicken into baking pan of your choice (I use an 8x8 pyrex pan. This keeps the chicken in the juices, but I don't mind.  If you have a roaster and prefer that, use the roaster for sure).
~Bake 50-60 minutes; no need for basting, just let it cook.
~Let rest for 10 minutes and enjoy! The skin turns out so crispy and delicious.

One of the recipes I read said that the lack of water ingredients keeps the steam to a minimum and keeps the chicken juicy.  I am not sure how that happens, but it seems to be true to date. 

No comments: